Institute for International Economic Studies
S-125 53 Stockholm, Sweden
S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Telephone: +46-8-647 37 31
Telephone: +46-8-162070, fax: +46-8-161443
Mobile: +46-708-117 26 3
September 18, 1960, married with Susanne, two children, Samuel and Emil.
John Hassler is Professor of Economics at the Institute for International Economic Studies at Stockholm University.
Professor Hassler obtained his Ph.D. in Economics from MIT. He has been teaching subsequently at the Stockholm University. His research has covered areas of dynamic public finance, social mobility, growth and climate change.
Since December 2009, he is serving as a member of the Prize Committee for the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel. He is also the Chairman of the Swedish Fiscal Policy Council, in charge of evaluating the government’s economic policy.
He worked as advisor to the Swedish Ministry of Finance during the
recent financial crisis when he was also a member of the European Economic
Advisory Group. He is currently a member of the Bellagio group of academics and
Professor at the Institute for International Economic Studies (IIES), Stockholm University, Jan. 2005-. Deputy Director of the IIES since Jan. 2015.
· Global warming and long run economic growth.
· Dynamic political economy of government, in particular redistribution, social security and health.
· Optimal taxation and social insurance.
· Ph.D. in Economics, Majors in Public Finance and Macroeconomics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1994. Title of Ph.D. Thesis, ”Effects of Variations in Risk on Demand and Measures of Business Cycle Fluctuations”.
· Filosofie Licentiat, Stockholm University, 1993.
· B.A. in Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, 1989.
· Visiting MBA student at Stern Business School, New York University September-December 1987.
· Chairman of the Swedish Fiscal Policy Council, 2013-16.
· Vice Chairman of the Swedish Fiscal Policy Council, 2011-13.
· Member of the Bellagio group of central bankers and academics, 2011-16.
· Voting associate member of the price committee for the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, Dec 2009-.
· Member of Advisory Board at the University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences Economics and Management International Academic Forum.
· Member of the European Economic Advisory Group, EEAG, 2008-2012.
· Advisor to the Swedish Ministry of Finance (October 2008-March 2009).
· CEPR Research Fellow (International Macro and Public Policy Programmes).
· CESifo Research Fellow.
· Member of The Swedish Economic Council (advisory board to the Finance Ministry), 1997-2005
· Expert to the governmental committee on deregulation evaluation, 2004-05
· Board member of The Swedish Association of Economists (Nationalekonomiska föreningen), 2004-2012
· President of the Economic Club, 2006-08
Published articles in refereed journals
3. "Should developing countries constrain resource-income spending? A quantitative analysis of oil income in Uganda", with Per Krusell, Abdulaziz Shifa, and Daniel Spiro, Energy Journal, 38:1, 2017
4. ”Optimal taxes on fossil fuel in general equilibrium”, with Michael Golosov, Per Krusell and Aleh Tsyvinski, Econometrica, 82:1 January, 2014, pp 41-88. (Sensitivity analysis by Lint Barrage)
5. ”Economics and Climate Change: Integrated Assessment in a Multi-Region World”, with Per Krusell, Journal of the European Economic Association, 2012, vol. 10, issue 5, pages 974-1000.
6. ”Oil monopoly and the climate,” with Per Krusell and Conny Olofsson, American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, May 2010, v. 100, iss. 2, pp. 460-64
7. ”Unemployment Insurance Design: how to induce moving and retraining” with José V. Rodríguez Mora, European Economic Review, 52: 5, July 2008, pp. 757-791
8. ”On Optimal Timing of Capital Taxation”, with Per Krusell, Kjetil Storesletten, and Fabrizio Zilibotti, Journal of Monetary Economics, 55:4, May, 2008, pp. 692-709.
9. ”Inequality and Mobility”, with José V. Rodríguez Mora and Joseph Zeira, Journal of Economic Growth, 12:3, September, 2007, pp.235-59.
11. ”The Dynamics of Government”, with Per Krusell, Kjetil Storesletten, and Fabrizio Zilibotti, Journal of Monetary Economics, 52:7 , October 2005, pp 1331-1358.
12. ”A Positive Theory of Geographic Mobility and Social Insurance”, with Kjetil Storesletten, José V Rodríguez Mora and Fabrizio Zilibotti, International Economic Review, 46:1, February 2005, pp 263-303.
13. ”The Survival of the Welfare state”, with Kjetil Storesletten, José V. Rodríguez Mora and Fabrizio Zilibotti, American Economic Review, 93(1), March, 2003, pp.87-112.
14. ”Dynamic Political Choice in Macroeconomics”, With Kjetil Storesletten and Fabrizio Zilibotti. Journal of the European Economic Association, April-May, 2003, 1(2-3), pp. 533-42.
15. ”Uncertainty and the Timing of Automobile Purchases”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 103(2), 2001.
16. ”Intelligence, Social Mobility and Growth”, with José V. Rodríguez Mora, American Economic Review,90:(4), 2000.
17. ”Employment Turnover and the Public Allocation of Unemployment Insurance”, with José V. Rodríguez Mora, Journal of Public Economics, 73:(1), 1999.
18. ”Does Increased International Influence Cause Higher Stock Market Volatility”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 101:(1), 1999.
19. ”International covariation in manufacturing 1975-95”, Swedish Economic Policy Review, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1997.
20. ”Optimal Actuarial Fairness in Pension Systems - a Note”, with Assar Lindbeck, Economic Letters, 55:(2), 1997.
21. ”Risk and Consumption,” Swedish Economic Policy Review, 3:(2), 1996.
22. ”Variations in Risk and Fluctuations in Demand – a theoretical model,” Journal of Economic Dynamics & Control 20:(6-7), 1996.
Selected other writings 0
· “Environmental Macroeconomics”, chapter in the Handbook of Macroeconomics, volume 2B, with Per Krusell and Anthony Smith.
· Makroekonomi, Swedish adaptation of Blanchard’s undergraduate text in macroeconomics (with Lars Calmfors, Harry Flam and Per Krusell)
· “Experiences from the Swedish Crisis in the 1990s – An Opportunity for a Complete Makeover”, (2015), Intereconomics, 50:5, September/October, 2015.
· VOXEU (various co-authors), A fix for the climate (negotiations) (2014), Pricing climate change (2012), Can Greece pull it off? (2011), A crisis mechanism for the euro: The European Stability Mechanism (2011), Why financial regulation must also rebuild trust (2010)
· ”The Climate and the Economy”, Mistra-SWECIA Report No 5, (with Per Krusell).
· “Ugandan oil – a blessing or a curse?”, Report commissioned by the International Growth Centre at LSE and Oxford University, with Per Krusell, Abdulaziz Shifa and Daniel Spiro.
· ”Unemployment, Specialization, and Collective Preferences for Social Insurance”, with Kjetil Storesletten, José V. Rodríguez Mora and Fabrizio Zilibotti, in Cohen, Piketty and Saint Paul eds., The New Economics of Inequalities, Oxford Univeristy Press, 2002, London.
· ”The Swedish Business Cycle – Stylized facts over 130 years” (with P. Lundvik, T. Persson and P. Söderlind), in V. Bergström and A. Vredin, eds., Measuring and Interpreting Business Cycles, Clarendon Press, 1994.
Selected working papers
· ”Impacts of climate mitigation strategies in the energy sector on global land use and carbon balance”, with K. Engström, M. Lindeskog, S. Olin, and B. Smith, under review in Earth System Dynamics.
· ”Optimal taxes on fossil fuel in general equilibrium"”, NBER WP 17348 with Mike Golosov, Per Krusell and Aleh Tsyvinski. Technical appendix
· “Energy-Saving Technical Change”, NBER WP 18456, joint with Per Krusell and Conny Olofsson.
· ”Is There Excess Volatility of Stock Prices?””, with Joseph Zeira.
· ”Equilibrium Unemployment Insurance”, CEPR discussion paper 2126, with Kjetil Storesletten, José V. Rodríguez Mora and Fabrizio Zilibotti. 1999.
· ”Can and should a pay-as-you-go pension system mimic a funded system”, mimeo with Assar Lindbeck, 1999
· ”Intergenerational Risk Sharing, Stability and Optimality of Alternative Pension Systems”, with Assar Lindbeck, CEPR, Discussion Paper No. 1774,
· ”Variations in Risk as a Cause of Fluctuations in Demand – the empirics”, IIES Seminar Paper No. 554.
· ”Effects of Variations in Risk on Demand and Measures of Business Cycle Comovements”, Ph.D. Dissertation, IIES Monograph Series No. 24.
· ”Variations in Risk - a cause of fluctuations in demand?”, IIES Seminar Paper No. 532, Stockholm University. (An updated version)
· ”Are They Swinging Together – A measure of linear comovement with an application to Swedish and foreign business cycles”, IIES Seminar Paper No. 531.
· Associate editor of Macroeconomic Dynamics 2012-
· Member of Economic Policy Panel 2008-2010
· Associate editor of Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2006-
· Associate editor of European Economic Review, 2007-2009
· Member of the Editorial Board of The Review of Economic Studies, 2004-2011
· Member of the program committee for the EEA congresses in Berlin 1998 and Bolzano 2000, Stockholm 2003, Madrid 2004, Amsterdam 2005 and Oslo 2011.
· Editor of Swedish Economic Policy Review, special issue on international tax-competition, Vol 9:1, 2002 and special issue on human capital and growth, Vol. 6:2, 1999.
· Associate Editor of Ekonomisk Debatt 1996-1997.
· Referee for American Economic Review, B.E. Journals in Macroeconomics, Econometrica, Economica, Economic Journal, Environmental and Resource Economics, , European Economic Review, European Journal of Political Economy, International Economic Review, Journal of Comparative Economics, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Economic Growth, Journal of Economics, Journal of the European Economic Association, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Macroeconomics, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Journal of Population Economics, Macroeconomic Dynamics, Nature Climate Change, National Science Foundation, Physical Review Letters, Review of Economic Studies, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Scottish Journal of Political Economy and Swedish Economic Policy Review.
· Editor of ”Thirteen papers on Unemployment” (in Swedish), published by the Swedish Labor Movement's Economic Council (Arbetarrörelsens ekonomiska råd).
· 1994-2003 Assistant professor at the Institute for International Economic Studies.
· 1989-90 Research Assistant at the Institute for International Economic Studies.
· 1987 Research Assistant at the Research Department of The Confederation of Swedish Trade Unions.
· First year undergraduate macro at Stockholm University, 2003-6, 2009-13.
· Dynamic Public Finance, Ph.D. program at Stockholm University and Stockholm School of Economics, 2006-8, 12-13
· Modern macroeconomics for policy makers, course given at the Swedish Riksbank 2005, at the Swedish Parliament 2008 and at the Federation of Swedish Trade Unions (LO) 2012.
· Macroeconomics II, Ph.D. program at Stockholm University and Stockholm School of Economics, 2006-8, 10,13-14.
· Second year undergraduate macro at Stockholm University, 2002.
· Non-standard preferences in macroeconomics, Ph.D. program at Stockholm University and Stockholm School of Economics, 2005-8.
· Macroeconomics I, Ph.D. program at Stockholm University and Stockholm School of Economics, every year 1995-2000.
· Mathematics II, Ph.D. program at Stockholm University and Stockholm School of Economics, 1994-1996, 1998-2003 and 2008.
· Main advisor for graduated Ph.D. students Mirco Tonin (2007), Erika Färnstrand (2008), Tobias Heinrich (2009), Dario Caldara (2011), Daniel Spiro, Jinfeng Gee and Gustav Engström (2012), Yinan Li (2013), Alex Schmitt (2014) and for Licentiate student Jens Henrikson.
· Faculty opponent on Doctoral Theses by Tomas Lindström, Uppsala University, 1998, Sean Hove, Aarhus University, 2002, Davide Ticchi, Pompeu Fabra University, 2004, Jari Viitanen, Joensuu Univeristy, 2004, Giovanni Pica, Pompeu Fabra University, 2004,
· External evaluator on Ph.D. theses by Omer Moav, Hebrew University Jerusalem, 1999, Hosny Zoabi, Hebrew University Jerusalem, 2004, David Comerford, Edinburgh University, 2013.
· Faculty opponent on Licentiate Theses by Henrik Schulze, Uppsala University, 1996, Jesper Hansson, Lund University, 1997.
· 1984 Member of the National Board of Conscripts (Värnpliksrådet i Sverige).
· 1981-84 President of the Swedish School Students Union (Elevorganisationen i Sverige).